Thursday 23 January 2014

Bucket Lists

It's Sandy again!

I did forget one thing that Deb mentioned but it is a cool thing.

After a day of working with a Credit Union Deb and her partner were sitting outside of the branch on white plastic chairs discussing bucket lists.

A lady from the branch came out when it closed and talked with them and the discussion turned to bucket lists and what they were.  Now, many of us have bucket lists.  Go to Africa, dive with sharks, learn to fly a plane or backpack thru Europe or whatever your fancy is.

They asked the lady from the branch if she had a bucket list and she said "Oh yes, I have a bucket list as well.  I want to raise good children who grow up to have a better life than me"

They asked her if she had anything else in her bucket list and she did not.

I find this interesting. I know that everyone I know wants to raise good children who are successful but I wonder how many people, when making a bucket list, put that at the top of the list let alone make it the only thing on it?  Or do we just assume, because of our relative wealth as a "First World Country", that our children are entitled to a better life and make our bucket lists about us as individuals as opposed to about making our children and community better?

A little preachy perhaps but something that just struck me when Deb and I were talking.

Don't worry.  Deb's regular programming will resume soon!

It's Deb, and he's close (husbands don't always listen to exactly what is said, they just get the real meaning which is why we love them so much!)  So this is the spoiler alert for when Nancy and I were chatting with Jude, our driver (a him by the way) last night after dinner.  We did ask him about his bucket list.  He did answer that he wants a good life for his children, and that he wants a place of his own to lay his head at night.  It was a "bring me to tears" moment.  One of many I'm experiencing these days.  Thanks honey, I might be able to take this blog on again, Tamale has wifi!!!!

1 comment:

  1. I assumed Jude was a woman. Something I guess a man named Sandy shouldn't do!

    ReplyDelete