Monday 27 January 2014

TGIF Africa Style

Blog January 24, 2014

Oh how I do not want to get out of bed this morning.  That’s probably because there was no call to prayer at dawn, I’m getting used to it to ease me awake at 4.  One more hot shower, although I am sure we will have water at Mole (pronounce MOLAY) tonight.  Nancy and I got Francis (the palace waiter) to give us a couple of pieces of bread after dinner so we start our day with water and peanut butter on bread.  Yum.  Tastes like home with the exception of no coffee.

The drive to Damongo is not far.  2 hours after departing we pull up to the Damongo Dioscesan Community Credit Union.  Damongo is a small village with an active market place and a little bit of a sad history for the credit union.  Many people in this village trusted the first credit union that was established here, but it turned out to be mismanaged and potentially have some issues with staff which resulted in many of the members losing their savings.  The old credit union closed down, and this credit union came into being in 2002. Many of the former members of the now defunct credit union brought their savings, and their passion here.  I am impressed by their dedication to the community and to the co-operative movement. 








Today Hardi, the manager, wanted to take us to the market place to meet some of his members.  Although I was feeling slightly light-headed and a little nauseous (not sure why, it wasn’t malaria pill day) I thought that the fresh (39 degree) air would do me some good.  Perhaps I was a little mistaken.  The smell of the market greeted us, a combination of…..let’s face it, I haven’t got a clue.  I like to pretend that I know what something would smell like in 39 degree heat, but I’m from Edmonton.  The first few stalls were men chopping meat.  Maybe that was it.  Or the fish.  Or any number of other things that were being cooked/sold.  Many of the market stall owners were members, and all of them (in true Ghanain fashion) were wonderful.  “You are welcome,” I heard at every stall we stopped at.  I feel welcome.  A little sick, but welcome nonetheless.

Although we have been inundated with the vision of all of these villages over the last week we have not really been “inside” one.  I have conflicting feelings about it.  From our air conditioned truck hurtling down the road I catch glimpses of children and adults in their day-to-day routines and think that it should be left that way, just a glimpse.  Then I think that I should want to see inside one of the mud structures, inside the community, what am I afraid I am going to see?  Jude solved that for me today.


We have a free weekend.  It is Friday.  Nancy and I are booked for three nights at the Mole Motel in Mole National Park.  It’s a respite from our week and we are looking forward to it.  On our way from Damongo to Mole there is a village, yes, a red mud hut village, in the town of Larabunga.  In Larabunga we will find the oldest mosque in Ghana (and perhaps Western Africa).  We will also find a village and a community looking for any and all money, for school, for children, for business, for post secondary education, it ran the gamut tonight.   The community was welcoming, and there were young man, Hasma, who provided the history and stories behind many of the structures and scenes that we came upon.  The mosque was impressive for being built sometime in the 1400s.  The village was sad, and coupled with Hasma’s detailed description of what they were lacking it turned out to be a trying hour or more.  At one point, when Hasma was explaining the engineering of a particular building, I looked aside and saw a young girl about 2 smiling at me.  I smiled back and she held up a treasure she had found.  A razor blade.  I stopped Hasma, and said “the girl has a blade!”  He walked over to her, took the razor blade from her, and continued on with his story.  I got the feeling that this wasn’t the first time nor was it an anomaly, which was quite disturbing.  Many people over the age of 16 that we see have scars on their faces, my understanding is that these cuts are tribal marks and actually are a thing of beauty. 



 

















We finally left behind this village and continued on to Mole Motel where we will spend the next three nights.  Four other coaches who have been travelling northern Ghana will join us tomorrow.  For tonight, Nancy and I are firmly ensconced in rooms 3 & 4 of the “R” block.  Our view is spectacular, apparently the water comes on between 6 and 8 AM tomorrow, and we can walk “not far” (no, really, it’s not a Jude “not far” it’s a Canadian not far) to the viewing area overlooking one of the watering holes.  And the bar has cold Star.

Mole elephant viewing area


Life is good.         

No comments:

Post a Comment