Friday 10 June 2016

We made it through day 1 at the branch!  There were loan policies to go through, Human Resources policies to go through, and many questions to be answered. But, we did it!  And, in celebration, we went out to a girls dinner at an Ethiopian restaurant.  We had a feast....beef, chicken, lamb, and veggies....a whole bunch of different stuff, and all without the use of utensils.  I'm hoping that Memory had a memorable time with everyone.  And....I hope she was warm, because it might have been the first time today that she has felt warm :(
Yes, Albertans listen up.  When you go out in shirt sleeves and it is a balmy 17 degrees, that's not warm for everyone.  It actually is downright cold for people who are from Malawi (where it is winter right now and the temps can get as low as 21 to 23...).  I promise myself tomorrow, and for the rest of Memory's trip, that I will remember to offer an extra coat, perhaps even a winter coat, when we are walking out of the house.  This morning poor Memory walked out (and I am sure it was really warm, like at least 10 if not higher) and I think I saw her turn into a block of ice.  Then she got in my vehicle and my air con came on...then she got to the branch and it's set at 22....just about heat exhaustion (if you are Canadian).  Then off to walk to the legislature from a couple of blocks away (without a coat).....saving the day were Karen and Herman who brought a nice warm coat for Memory to wear while I took some pictures of Syd in her prom dress (note...heavy coat for Memory, sleeveless dress for Syd and Karen!)  
I'm kicking myself, I should know better.  I know what a wall of heat feels like, it cannot be that different than a wall of cold (although truth be told nobody in Ghana was able to offer me anything to ward off that wall of 40 degree heat...)  Tomorrow, when we are honoured with watching Meagan and Kirk exchange vows, become man and wife, then party Ukrainian style in Vegreville I WILL remember, Memory needs coats.  Lots of coats.  If we cover her with blankets and coats then I will be able to run the air con, stay cool, and still feel like the ultimate hostess.  Vegreville or bust tomorrow!!  With tons of blankets for the drive!

3 comments:

  1. Memory and I would get along perfect in our slippers & jackets in front of a heater. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would! I can't wait for you to meet her!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete