Wednesday 8 June 2016

June 7, 2016
I was reminded today, as I presented a meeting in one of our historical branches in the city, what a credit union was and what we want it to continue to be.  Our 149th Street branch is steeped in history, Firefighters Credit Union history to be exact.  Memory arrives tomorrow.  She represents, to me, the history of credit unions.  From Lilongwe, Malawi, Memory has traveled to Canada with the hope of creating a stronger and more sustainable credit union.  And we have the honour of hosting her for the next 9 days.

So begins our journey.  I do not know what fears Memory houses...but I know what lies within me.  Imagine, if you will, hosting someone in your home without understanding what "comfort" may mean to them.....what "clean" might mean...what "home" might feel like.  Delainey and I went out today in search of "chips" which Memory indicated are part of her breakfast.  Chips?  Lays?  Dill Pickle??    We have decided on a variety, banana chips (which I fear will not make the grade), casava chips (which may make the grade) and plantain chips (which I ate frequently while in Ghana, and have come to enjoy immensely).

I'm hoping that you will join us on this journey that begins tomorrow.  If you are able to physically join us that will show Memory our close knit village.  If you can only be with us in spirit then that will resound as well.  Memory will be taking in many valuable lessons at Servus, along with (I hope) many familiar scenes where neighbors are getting together with neighbors.

I hope this is a time that we, as a credit union and a family, in Edmonton can get together and display some of the community spirit that I have witnessed firsthand while traveling in Ghana.

Memory is missing her two precious daughters, Kate and Angel, who are waiting for her to return home.  She has chosen to spend her birthday, June 11, away from family and friends, to further develop her credit union...and her community...at home.  I already admire her, and I have not yet met her.  I hope that you join us on our journey!


1 comment:

  1. Excellent start on this blog, can't wait to follow along. Of course meeting Memory is a must as well.

    ReplyDelete