Monday 9 February 2015

Africa? Why?

  • Last year at this time I had a number of well meaning friends who, very concerned, asked "Why?  Why do you feel the need to do this?  At your age?" 

  •  Now, as a returning coach, and by far a more committed member of the cooperative movement, I feel equipped to answer.  "Why not?"  No, my dear friends, I will not bring ebola back to Canada (Ghana has never had a confirmed case.)  I will, however, bring back stories of how the credit unions have changed the lives of every day people.  Is that enough "why"? 
  •  If not enough then, perhaps I can bring back enough pride in the cooperative movement to motivate one member who has never voted before to embrace their right in the democratic process. 
  •  I'm also going to take you, my dear readers, with me on this adventure.  I want you to feel the red dirt beneath your feet and smell the market as you walk through with me.  I want you to stare into the eyes of the child who is too frightened to touch your skin, and into the eyes of a father whose mission in life is to put his children through school because he may be able to do something his parents could not.  
  • In a few days I will @CUinAfrica and I hope you will join me.  


No comments:

Post a Comment