Thursday 19 February 2015

I had a Vision

Today has been a day of admiration of leadership.  Leadership of the past, and leadership of the future.  It's been a day that has given me chills....probably because I know that I have met people that have shaped and will shape the lives of the people of Ghana.  And I am humbled to have been in their presence.

Readers, let me introduce you to Mrs. Deborah Serwaah-Asamoah.  She is the Credit Manager of St. Martin de Porres Co-Operative Credit Union Ltd.  Not only does she hold this post, she also oversees all 17 of their mobile bankers, and the operation of the mobile banking department.  She's young, only 30.  She's feisty.  She's got great ideas.  And she's a graduate of the CCA Women's Mentorship Program where she stayed not only in Ottawa but in Olds, Alberta for almost a full month away from this beautiful country.  Deborah is pictured in the mobilization centre for mobile bankers, she took us on a tour today and it wasn't until we were almost done that I fully realized the affect that these people can have on the lives of the "Traders" on the streets of Kumasi.  Mobile bankers go out Monday to Friday to their members, moving from shop to shop and street trader to street trader collecting, recording and encouraging further savings.  The traders try to save 10 GHc ($3 Cdn) per day in hopes someday to be able to get a loan to enhance their trade.  Deborah's team makes it happen.  She sees the future, and she understands her part in it.  She also respects the past.  So much so that the first introduction that Deborah makes to us here at the mobilization centre is Mr. Amoako, the founder of St Martin de Porres Co-operative.  "Mr. Amoako, please meet Abenna Debbie from Canada and Effie Louise from Ireland."  He says, and he means it, "You are most welcome."
He motions for Louise and I to sit down, and we do.  For some reason I feel like I am in the presence of greatness, so as we exchange pleasantries about where we are from, and why we are here, I am formulating a question that maybe will yield the answer to leading change....the answer to mobilizing thousands for the good of so many....we talk about our homelands.  We talk about his current role helping the mobile bankers with their member's loan applications.  We talk about how he founded the cooperative in his church, on Sundays, to help his parishioners save.  Then he came to the realization that there were more people, right outside the gates of this church, who needed to save their cidid as well so they opened it up to the community.  Then, in the moment the conversation lapses I jump in.  "Mr. Amoako, you are truly admired by many.  The credit union you founded has helped so many people.  Please, may I ask, what motivated you to start such a venture?"

He looked at me, moved his glasses down his nose so we were eye to eye.  I kind of felt like he was staring right through me.  "I had a vision."

I had this fleeting thought of how wonderful it was to meet these leaders today.

Then he waved his hand, there were members waiting to see him, and we were in their chairs.
St. Martin Catholic Church, home of the original St. Martin de Porres Co-Operative Credit Union



And I, dear readers, have too.  Leaders of the present surround me here in Kumasi, I cannot wait to see what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment